What Is I-Smile Silver?
Keeping mouths healthy for a lifetime.
I-Smile Silver is a pilot project for older Iowans, modeled after the I-Smile program for children. The project is designed to improve the ability of Iowans age 60 and older to prevent dental disease, access oral health care and maintain overall health.
As a pilot project, I-Smile Silver services are only available in these ten counties: Calhoun, Des Moines, Hamilton, Humboldt, Lee, Pocahontas, Scott, Van Buren, Webster, and Wright.
I-Smile Silver uses dental hygienists as I-Smile Silver coordinators to work within their communities to:
- Identify the oral health needs of older Iowans
- Develop referral networks with local dentists
- Provide training for direct care professionals
- Promote the importance of oral health within communities
- Provide preventive dental care to nursing facility residents
I-Smile Silver is managed by the Iowa Department of Public Health.
Find My Coordinator
I-Smile Silver coordinators are available in Calhoun, Des Moines, Hamilton, Humboldt, Lee, Pocahontas, Scott, Van Buren, Webster, and Wright counties.
To find an I-Smile Silver coordinator in these counties click on the map to the right.